Fish is just as popular when grilling as meat. So try our great recipe for mackerel with potato and vegetable skewers – everyone will love the crispy fish with a fine orange marinade!
Recipe for mackerel with potato and vegetable skewers
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- approx. 250 g triplets (mini potatoes)
- 3 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- 2 untreated oranges
- 6 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 zucchini
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- 4 small mackerel
- 4 wooden skewers for example from Ideas with a Heart for approx. 3.97 euros / 100 pieces or made of metal from com-four® – 25 pieces cost approx
- 4 fish grill tongs, for example the no. 1 bestseller from Amazon: set of 4 with wooden handles from ToCis Big BBQ for approx. 17.95 euros
- Preparation of mackerel with potato and vegetable skewers
- Wash the potatoes and cook in salted water until they are al dente. Drain, let cool and peel.
- Soak the wooden skewers in cold water.
- For the marinade, crush the fennel seeds in a mortar. Peel off the zest of an orange in fine shavings with a zest, then squeeze out the juice. Mix the fennel seeds, orange peel, 6 tablespoons orange juice and the oil in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Wash the zucchini and cut into slices. Clean the spring onions, remove the greens and leave whole or cut in half, depending on the size. Wash the cherry tomatoes. Alternately place all the ingredients on the skewers together with the potatoes.
- Wash the mackerel inside and out and pat dry. Brush the fish inside and outside with the fennel and orange marinade. Cut the remaining orange into slices, divide them and stick them in the fish bellies. Clamp the mackerel in the fish grill tongs and grill on each side for 7–8 minutes on not too high a heat.
- Brush the potato and vegetable skewers with the remaining marinade and grill on all sides for 7–8 minutes. Serve with the mackerel. A herb and mustard sauce goes well with it.